Tuesday, April 9, 2013

And then there were Two - Part 2

After the birth of our 2nd son Jeremy, life changed overnight. This time I new what to expect when the labor pains began. When I went into labor, I didn't tell anyone for several hours, because my goal was to have a natural delivery. I quietly finished packing my overnight bag for the hospital. After that I spent a couple of hours in the kitchen preparing dinner because my sister was visiting from NYC. That afternoon (July 22nd) as we got into the van for a trip to the local Mall, I announced that I was in labor and would not be returning home that night. They looked at me puzzled to say the least. Unfortunately, after about 23 hours of labor, they had to wheel me into surgery again for another a c-section. I guess even though Jeremy was 5 days late he wanted to hangout in Mom's tummy a little longer. So with a second incision, a few tugs and pulls, he finally came out! Our 2nd bundle of joy was born on July 23, 2003. Noah was just 14 month old now. I admit those early days were crazy, hectic and definitely exhausting. Thank God I had help from my sister, niece and a friend. Jeremy was a great baby. Yes, we did the sleepless nights for the first couple of months, but he started sleeping through the night soon after that. Back during the first week, I remember my sisters first call to my mother after we returned home from the hospital. I heard my mother asking how is he doing? She said, "he looks like a little package". It may sound like a strange comment, but it was true. I thought to myself she's right. As some babies do, Jeremy for the longest time slept with his tiny leg and knees tucked up to his tummy. It was difficult for him to sleep on his back even when he was swaddled. (Knowing what we know now, could this have been a sign? I don't think so). Jeremy also got startled at loud noises months after he was out of the newborn stage. (Could this have been a sign? Maybe or maybe not). Hindsight is 20/20. Our sweet little boy developed on point. He too (like Noah) met all of the typical baby milestones ( rolling over, sitting up, tracking objects..) that Pediatricians look for as they examine infants. He also walked and began to talk before the age of one. I am getting ahead myself. Time to back track. In December 2003 Lloyd received an job offer from a company in Delaware...

No comments:

Post a Comment